World-Class Events Near The George Washington University Inn
Top Performances in DC this Winter
Washington DC is a hub of cultural activity all season long. From the Kennedy Center, a cornerstone of the city’s thriving theater community, to venues like Wolf Trap and the Warner Theater, navigating your way through the year’s performance calendar is no easy task. Check out our list of some of the season’s best performances in DC to help you find your way into the seats of your next favorite show.
Kennedy Center Events:
- Flashdance--The Musical: (Dec. 25- Jan 19)-Celebrating the hit movie's 30th anniversary, this inspiring stage musical adaptation includes all your favorite songs, from "Flashdance--What a Feeling" and "Maniac" to "I Love Rock and Roll," plus 16 original songs!
- Mariinsky Ballet: Swan Lake: (Jan 28-Feb 2)- St. Petersburg's historic Mariinsky Ballet presents its signature staging of Tchaikovsky's mysterious, lyrical, and dramatic Swan Lake, hailed by the San Francisco Chronicle as "a vision of Romantic ballet heaven."
- Peter and the Starcatcher: (Jan. 28-Feb 16)- Winner of five Tony Awards, this innovative and imaginative prequel to Peter Pan--based on the best-selling Disney-Hyperion novel by Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson--takes a hilarious, swashbuckling romp through the Neverland you never knew.
- Washington National Opera: Moby-Dick : (Feb. 22- March 8)-One man's obsession leaves a lethal wake of destruction in Jake Heggie's triumphant new opera of Melville's literary masterwork--featuring massive nautical sets, dazzling visual effects, an achingly beautiful score, and a talented all-American cast.
- Washington National Opera: The Elixir of Love: (March 20-29)- Handsome Nemorino employs a "magical tonic" to win feisty Adina's affections in Donizetti's loveable comic opera--a warm and inspired masterpiece cherished for its whimsical wit, endearing characters, beautiful arias, and intoxicating duets.
- Weekend Opera at Wolf Trap - Take in some of DC’s best known productions every weekend with unforgettable performances from the Wolf Trap Opera Company. Plus, go inside the music before every performance at the Opera Preshow Talks.
- National Symphony Orchestra -Take in some of the world’s best known symphony conductors and critically acclaimed soloists in Concert Hall. Their dynamic talent and passion will sweep you off your feet and transport you to a new world!
- KZ Jazz Club - KC Jazz Club lights up the Kennedy Center roof-level Terrace Gallery with performances by today's hottest new talents and seasoned jazz veterans. The club's trendy and comfortable cabaret setting features lamp-lit tables for four and drinks and light-menu fare available for purchase. No smoking. No minimum. Just up close and personal with your favorite jazz artists—the way jazz was meant to be.
- Washington National Opera : Enjoy some of the world’s most famous talent on the Millennium Stage at The Kennedy Center! WNO's American Opera Initiative moves into its second exciting season with the premieres of three new 20-minute operas in a concert performance accompanied by a small chamber orchestra, and followed by a Q&A session with the artists and creative team.
If you’re looking for more musical performances around the Washington DC area, check out the Millennium Stage at the Kennedy Center for its daily free concerts. You can also view the full list of current and upcoming theater performances at the Kennedy Center for the 2013 – 2014 Season .
The George Washington University Inn offers you convenient access to a wide array of year-round DC area events. From local Foggy Bottom events, to Georgetown happenings and Washington, DC festivals and performances, we offer you ideal accommodations and an up-to-the-minute calendar. Upcoming events near The George Washington University Inn include:
- International Motorcycle Show : Jan 10- Jan 12
- Washington Winter Show : Jan 10- Jan 12
- Washington Bridal Showcase : Jan 12
- Washington Auto Show : Jan 22-Feb 2
- Chocolate Lovers Festival : Feb. 1-2, 2014
- Chinese New Year Parade : Feb. 2, 2014
- Destinations Showcase: Feb. 12, 2014
- DC International Wine Festival : Feb. 13-15, 2014
- Woo at the Zoo : Feb. 14, 2014
- DC Fashion Week 2014: Feb. 17-23, 2014
- Travel and Adventure Show : Feb. 22-23, 2014
- St. Patrick’s Day Parades: March 2014
- National Harbor Restaurant Week : March 4-17, 2014
- National Capital Boat Show: March 7-9, 2014
- Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon : March 15, 2014
- DC Environmental Film Festival : March 18-30, 2014
- National Cherry Blossom Festival : March 20-April 13, 2014
- National Shamrock Festival : March 22, 2014